Friday, October 22, 2010

Life post farm internship

It's been one week since I left the farm. How have I adjusted? For starters, I am wearing my engagement ring again, I didn't want to risk losing it or having it so crusted with dirt and other debris that it looked like a piece of rock salt. I have switched from wearing loose ripped jeans and Carhartts to tighter fitting jeans and jeggins ( jeans + leggings, they look like jeans but are really tights). My husband can't wait for me to abandon that trend. Don't worry, a few months without farm work to keep me in shape should put a quick end to my infatuation with tights. My next trend may be over sized sweaters with sweat pants. I go to bed at 10:30 pm and sleep in until 7am. I enjoy getting up in the morning and taking my time to make breakfast and check the interweb. I would say I am adjusting pretty well.

I already found some work. I am helping a woman, who lives 3-minutes from me, clean-up her garden and property and sometimes we do a little bit of work inside. She is the wife of a famous photographer, Leonard Freed. We work for a few hours in the morning and sometimes she feeds me lunch; or we have pie break. She loves food as much as I do and she asked me to help her prepare for her husbands birthday party this weekend. Even though Leonard passed-away a few years ago she still throws him a party and invites their friends and people who worked with him. I find it incredibly endearing.

I spent quite a bit of time trawling the internet last week for research and newspaper articles for my agriculture class at school. I am doing a research paper on Canadian and American dairy policies, specifically looking at policies that foster sustainable dairy production. And I have registered for the Stone Barns Young Farmers Conference this December.

Just to reassure you that there are more adventures to come at Farmer Chic, my husband and I are in the process of buying a 46-acre farm that needs lots of work. I will definitely have plenty to share if we end up buying it.

Agriculture is such a part of my life that even when I am not working on the farm, I am thinking about a farm. I shouldn't get used to wearing my engagement ring, or my jeggins; it seems I am destined to have dirty hands and Carhartts.

No comments:

Post a Comment